One of my major new years resolutions was to get my house decorated this year and amazingly, I've been able to make a little bit of progress. Here is the main living/family room downstairs. I got rid of our old couch, which had a chaise on one end. After getting the new couch, I realized how huge our old one was! The new one really opens up the room. Originally, I had wanted to get a white couch, but ended up chickening out.
I just added the rug yesterday after having tried a shag rug from Costco. I didn't realize, until after purchasing the shag rug, that they are so difficult to vacuum and keep clean! So, I opted for this Safavieh low-pile rug with a decent carpet pad and I'm impressed with how soft it feels. And I'm so happy I found this one as I was looking at rugs on Macy's website for close to $700!
Remaining to-do list:
- Put together these leaning bookcases. I ordered a set of 2 to put against that bare wall. I just need to figure out a way to con someone to come over and help me put them together! Once they're up, I get them fixed up with some pictures and other decorative items, I think it will really make the room look more complete. Right now, that bare wall sticks out like a sore thumb!
- Put up photo ledges/shelves on the wall facing the window. My plan is to display 10x10 photos mounted on foam board on the shelves. That way, I will be able to easily change the photos out.
- Get a new ottoman. The square storage ottoman fit a lot better with the chaise, but now I am finding that the square size seems "off." Also, I don't have a need for the storage anymore. I've been eyeing this one from Target, but not sure how well the teal would go with the red chairs.
- Get some new throw pillows for the couch. I'm thinking some white, fluffy ones like these.
- Get some new chairs. This one is way down on my list. I'm okay with the current chairs I have, but I'm not totally in love with them. They're nice because they're recliners, but not big and bulky. But I think I'd eventually like to get chairs that do not recline and then maybe add some fun foot stools like this or this.
See why I am calling it a work in progress?!